OIL PAINTING: Vienna, the Lobkowitzplatz, 1759-1760
Following his departure from Dresden Bellotto lived in Vienna from 1758 till 1761, where he worked for Empress Maria Theresa and her courtiers Kaunitz and Liechtenstein. The paintings Bellotto executed for the court have been imperial property ever since. For a long time most of them were kept at the Castle of Laxenburg. Since 1890 they have all been preserved in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna.
The Lobkowitzplatz, the former Schweinemarkt, is seen from the southwest, with Palais Dietrichstein, later Lobkowitz-on the left and on the right the Burgerspital. On the opposite side of the square, in front of the wall of the Capuchin monastery, rises the Missionskreuz. On the left the apse of the Dorothea Church on the Spiegelgasse can still be seen, while in the background the tower of St. Stephen's Cathedral stands out against the light.